4/09/2013

Shirt to boy shorts

 My brother gave me a bunch of button up shirts that no longer fit him I held onto them for a really long time and then last week I suddenly realized I could make shorts for B out of them!

 There was enough fabric for a boys size 7, well 8 in length and 1" added at the hem from a large short sleeved mens shirt.

 The pockets are simple rectangles from the scraps.

 I used Melissa's Blank Slate shorts pattern and the fly went together perfectly I will definitely be using her patterns again!

The button is Faux I was not in the mood to do a real button hole and this really worked out well since the fabric is so light weight.

 You can see seams from the original shirt in some places; I think it adds character plus I highly doubt anyone will notice, lol!

...........And this wouldn't be a post without a silly pose from B.
Have a great day!

Gingerly Made

13 comments:

  1. Ooo I really like these! You did a great job, I particularly like the fabric you used and especially because it was a shirt! I need to get better at re-using fabric like this, it is a definitely a skill (that I definitely don't have. haha) Great job Shantel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Haylee, I love them too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great idea! And I bet they will so nice and comfortable this summer since the fabric is lighter.

    I’d love if you shared this with my readers at my Show & Tell party this week. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/04/show-tell-21-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Show & Tell at Gingerly Made. You've been featured!

    http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/04/show-tell-features_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Blank Slate patterns. I have never thought of using men's shirts for the fabric. The plaid looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done quite a bit of sewing my kids when they were little -- but I never thought of making a pair of shorts out of a shirt. You are so clever! Thanks for sharing at Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  8. Those are super cute, and trendy with the board short style! Love the pattern too! This actually blows my mind, as I never quite got the hang of sewing when I was younger and tried. I would think it would save a bundle of money being able to repurpose stuff for kids. Thanks so much for linking up with us at the Best of the Blogosphere link up! We'd love to see you back again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from YOU!